Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Logos and Websites and Photos, Oh My.


The quick and dirty of what's been happening is that I have been super busy being creative. Above is a painting I did based on some of the virtual photography I had mentioned in my last post. I hadn't painted in about 15 years and broke out the oil paints one day and braved it. I've also been writing again (obviously not in here). I've missed both creative outlets and I'm not entirely sure why I stopped other than life getting in the way. Life must stop that STAT.

I also have projects. Sweet, glorious, money paying projects. I don't mean the dreaded "Urban Legend" projects, either. You fellow designers know what I'm talking about. The ones you keep hearing mention of, but you can't ever find anyone with any solid proof that they actually exist? Nay, I mean contracts signed, deposits being paid, firing up the Adobe software as we speak type projects. The kind that make our swatches panels sing and our Selection Tools weep. The kind that make Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver collide in ways that make clouds part and angels sing. Ok, that might have been a bit over the top, but you get the gist...I'm excited. Even if they are small projects, I heart them!


I was in the habit of posting what I've been reading on my blog because for the longest while it was all design related books and blogs; however, I just finished reading The Power by Rhonda Byrne a few weeks ago. She was responsible for The Secret that I'm sure most people have been unable to avoid hearing about. The Secret, The Power, Law of Attraction...all the same subject matter, but this book sort of just brings it all together in a much more comprehensible manner. I'm by no means a new age kind of girl (so much so that I couldn't find the book in the bookstore because it was in the New Age section and I've never set foot in it) so some of the reading is a little out there for me, but I have always believed that people who are chronically negative bring even more negativity to their lives. I'm not talking about someone going through a bad stretch and not dealing with it especially well. I'm talking about the people that spend 95% of their lives all woes me and bringing everyone down with them. The Debbie Downers of every situation. So, conversely, people that are consistently positive bring more positivity to their lives. When my accountant suggests these books and tells me stories about how they've worked for her (she may or may not have also given me discounts on getting my taxes done if I promised to read them)...I read them. What I know is that my sister and I have put some of these principles to work in the past and had crazy things happen (call them coincidence, I don't care). What I know is that I have started to get legit projects. What I know is that the absolute worst thing that could happen if you were to read it (and subsequently practice it) is that you throw a few less pity parties and are far less "Woes me." about everything. That's Win/Win right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment